Common Questions

How does Domestic Designs help?

Whether you are preparing for a new development, or an alteration or extension to an existing property, Domestic Designs guide you from the start, through Local Authority legislation to completion. We will visit you at the site to discuss your requirements and provide you with a free, no-obligation quotation. On appointment, we will survey your property and use the information to prepare building plans and specifications using our CAD software which produces a 3D model to aid realism. When you are happy with the proposals, we submit the planning and building regulation application on your behalf.

Do I need planning permission?

There is a good chance you will need planning permission, although certain proposals come under permitted development. It can be an in-depth process establishing whether permission is required and while most Local Authorities will have information on their websites, we have found asking the planning department and getting a written reply, sometimes in the form of pre-application advice, is the best option.

Do I need to make a building regulations application?

Probably, although there are some exemptions: small brick/block detached garages, porches and conservatories. Even so, each has requirements in order to be exempt and most other alterations, extensions etc. require permission.

How much do you charge?

Because each job is unique and priced individually, it will be fixed as far as possible. However, we sometimes need to call on structural engineers and other consultants, and therefore would need to charge accordingly. Please be assured we always aim to be as transparent as possible.

I’ve decided to alter/extend/convert my property. What do I do now?

It depends on what you want to do. You may need Local Authority planning permission or building regulations or both. If you do, the Council are likely to want a set of drawing plans and specifications to be submitted with your application.

Can I expect any up-front charges?

No. We will send, or hand, you an invoice only after we have done the relevant part of the works for which we were employed to do.

Do I get anything in writing?

Yes. We do everything in writing because then we all know where we stand. Soon after our initial visit, we will send you a letter of engagement that sets out the obligations on both sides. It also states what you get for your money and the costs involved. If you agree to, sign and return the form then we will start working on your proposal.

If I need some steel beams, can you calculate the sizes?

Indirectly, yes. Our structural engineer can provide all necessary calculations to satisfy the building control section. You are however, perfectly entitled to employ your own structural engineer if you would prefer.